Monday, March 18, 2013

In class, we talked about how women are misrepresented in photograph ads. As an avid reader of fashion magazines and longtime observer of advertisements in subway stations, I've seen that there a lot of problems.

Sexist advertising really hurts the case for fashion. There's nothing sexist about enjoying fashion. It's an industry run primarily by women and it's no more frivolous than professional sports. However, the fashion world needs some major reform, especially in it's portrayal of the women who wear said fashion.

To me one of the biggest issues is portraying women as frail, weak, sad people in pretty clothes. I don't understand this, because it's not aesthetically pleasing.

Here's some examples:




Here's some happy, fashionable women who look to be alive and well:






There's obviously a lot of issues fashion advertisers have to work through, but I think from even a strictly business perspective, models that appear to be alive might be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment